Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Beauty of our heritage

Beauty of heritage is in the synergy
of tradition, buildings & language
Duty of people lies in their energy
to cascade it with pride & assuage

Diverse, are cities we live in, where
time & people move rampant & fast
Immerse, they do in routines, their 
yesterday seems like a distant past

No wonder, traditions with hardly
any existence or of age
Becomes a fashion and smartly
many call it their heritage

Buildings, preserved over ancestry
through care and diligence
Transformed into abode with luxury
throw culture in negligence

Tradition & values etched on stones
narrate to us many a story
Expeditions far & many, for thrones
curate for us a hearty history

Big temples & forts of supremacy
defied laws of nature & invasions
Stand testimony to our democracy
defined rules for modern inventions

Beauty of heritage is in the synergy
of tradition, buildings & language
Duty of people lies in their energy
to cascade it with pride & assuage
----------------------------------------
©Balaji Palanidurai
I wrote this poem after a heritage tour I went on 20-22 July 2018 Ottran Padhai (#OttranPadhai). It was to visit heritage sites of The Cholas and beautifully curated by a good (and crazy) friend of mine, themed on a famous novel "Ponniyin Selvan" by Kalki.
I started feeling like someone from that era. It kicked off an urge to find my ancestry, which I kind of know I have that roots. This, in turn, added fuel to my quest for my heritage!

4 comments:

  1. Kudos. As someone who accompanied you, I could connect with your emotions. தமிழாக்கம் உண்டா?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by. I will start working on தமிழ் version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you..Tamil version being refined. Watch this space.

    ReplyDelete

Faith in Thought

I called my friend on the phone to wish him with my own voice. The bell rang, but my friend's voice did not. It felt like a temple bell ...